Friday, October 9, 2009

Prayer Request Update-2

Hello Everyone-

My last post I said that Scott's dad was not having surgery. Well, its been a whirlwind of events, and Thursday afternoon we found out that U of M hospital had an opening today for his aneurysm surgery. So...we've been in Ann Arbor today with Scott's dad. We got to the hospital at 5am for a 7:30 surgery that was supposed to take 4-5 hours. The surgery didn't start until 9:30 and at about 3:30 we found out that the surgery was successful and he was doing well. It was a difficult surgery but he came through. He will have the breathing tube overnight and we'll get to see him before we leave tonight. Scott and I are staying overnight again and we'll be able to see him awake tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone for keeping him in your thoughts and prayers. I hope I didn't miss anything...I'm sure I'll update again soon!
Scott and Jeanie

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Prayer Request Update

Thank you for all your prayers-there aren't words to express what it means to me knowing you're out there thinking of us and praying for us.

Scott's dad had a round of ultrasounds this morning and the doctor at U of M does not think the aneurysm is as critical as the doctor in Grand Rapids. That being said, he will need to have surgery on that within the next 30 days, but not this week.

He also had another heart cath done today to look at the blockages in his heart for the bypass surgery. This surgeon does not suggest bypass surgery at all. One blockage is completely blocked now and he feels the artery was too small to do surgery to begin with. The other blockages (heart and carotid) are under 70%-their threshold for surgery. We're still not sure why the doctor in Grand Rapids thought everything was as critical as she did, but trust this doctor and his direction for the surgeries.

Bottom line, Scott's dad will know when his surgery for the aneurysm is tomorrow and he will come home with only one surgery needed! Praise to God for looking after us the last few days and keeping out hearts and minds as calm as possible!

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Prayer Request

I love how blogs create a network effect with friends of friends following each other's blogs. I need all of your thoughts and prayers over the next few days.

As some of you may know, Scott's dad had surgery to unblock his carotid artery some time ago. During that surgery, his vocal cord was paralyzed and the doctors have put off his other surgeries (other carotid, triple bypass and aortic aneurysm) until it was not paralyzed anymore or until the other surgeries were necessary.

It's been long enough that the doctor's decided they wanted to go ahead and do the triple bypass surgery even though his vocal cord is still paralyzed. To prepare for this, Scott's dad started having some preliminary tests done. When the doctor's preformed these tests, they found that not only had the aneurysm grown significantly in the last year, but there is also a blood clot near it. The bypass surgery has been put off and Scott and his dad are on their way to Ann Arbor to have the aneurysm surgery this week.

I can't give you a date when the surgery will be. He will have a series of ultrasounds tomorrow to assess the blood clot, aneurysm, carotid artery, vocal cord and bypass areas. After the ultrasounds, they will determine when he will have surgery. Our best guess is that he will not come back to Grand Rapids until after he has the surgery-Wednesday afternoon, Thursday or Friday. As soon as they have the surgery scheduled, I will be on my way to Ann Arbor too.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. We know he is in good hands. I will try to keep you all updated as much as possible.